you resource for all things shoegaze & dream pop.

23 February 2014

WTSH Vintage Video Vault: The Veils || Unparalleled (1992).

 
 
Here’s something you’ve almost certainly never seen or heard before. The Veils were an early-90s Los Angeles-area noisepop band consisting of Doug Hammond, Alan Dyer, Roy Murray, and Ray Sanchez. This clip was a UCLA film student’s music video project. While The Veils as such issued no recordings, they evolved into Suncatcher, whose full-length The Girl That God Forgot was released (after many delays) in 1998 on Restless Records.

The video of “Unparalleled” uses a shortened edit of the track. The lyrics that follow, written by vocalist/guitarist Doug Hammond, are those of the full-length original version.

She locust sings to me
a wave on my skin
intensifying my need to begin

Mine, the way she starts
the way she combs her hair
excites me
off in mind surreal...
beautiful and marred,
Levanna revealed

I'm a fawn, changing, by the
way she laughs
I'm a fawn
by the way she laughed
I'm a fawn
Aaah

Stormy whirling world
we watch the mojo pass unreal
two mirrors falling into meaning's
sea of glass I feel
Unparalleled
Mine the way she starts,
The way she combs her hair
excites me after my release
as temples fall in waves of
dreams that never cease
Unparalleled in parallel dreams

I'm a fawn, changing, by the
way she laughs
I'm a fawn
by the way she laughed
I'm a fawn
Aaah

Hammond and his daughter Tatiana presently form the powerful new folk-rock duo Daisy House, whose self-titled debut full-length can be heard and purchased here.